ROLE OF THE PROGRAM ASSISTANT
Program assistants are an important component to any successful Pre-CanSkate and CanSkate program. PAs will help our Certified Skate Canada Coaches to delivery a good quality program. It's a great way to give back to the community. Your hours will be recorded and at the end of each skating season, Sunset SC will provide you a written letter, which can be used to complete the hight school volunteer hours for gradudation.
- Assist our certified coaches in delivering the program on-ice and off-ice
- Demonstrate skills and teaching progressions
- Supervise practice sessions
- Lead warm‐ups and cool‐downs under the direction of the Skate Canada coach
- Reinforce learned skills (follow‐up on coach instruction)
- Lead circuits, drills, group activities
- Distribute awards (stickers, badges, etc.)
- Take attendance
- Be a role model for young skaters
The responsibilities of a PA may include:
PA Minimum Requirements:
Beside good skating skills, candidates must demonstrate:
- A helping nature
- Patience with children
- An ability to communicate ideas clearly
- A sense of commitment to tasks
- Qualities of a good role model
- Ability to lead activities in a creative and enthusiastic manner
Remember that, an accomplished skaters, even though they may know the skills, may not necessarily be the best leaders. On the other hand, an average skater may be a dynamic PA!
The successful candidates will be invited and trained in our coaches/PA seminar, which will be held one or twice a year.
If you are interested to become a Sunset PA, please contact our CanSkate Coordinator: email@example.com.